The holdings model, as described in ISO 20775, should be improved to allow more information
about the context a library item is being used in.

For example

- are there identifying codes in the holding/item information? Shelf codes? Bar codes? Location
codes? What do they describe? What classes, what types of identifiers do exist?

- what are the agents in a holding description, and who should use the information in a holding?
What kind of agents exist: library? service agency? patron? What about agent identifiers?

- electronic resources: do libraries really "own" electronic resources if such a resource is being
held? What is the relationship between an owner/vendor/publisher of an electronic resource and
the library? What actionable links exist to perform delivery or preparations for delivery of the
electronic item?

- what kind of services does a library offer regarding the item? Reference only, circulation, inter
library loan? Reproduction? Digitization? What service is offered to what group of patrons?

- what is the preferred / allowed method of item transportation, between libraries, or from a
library to a patron?

- and all kinds of licensing information

I think these questions may lead to answers for better access and usability of library items.

The answers should be encoded in Linked Data in a clear and concise way as "service descriptors"
to let computer systems process item requests and delivery messages automatically.

Today, we use electronic sheets with mere strings printed on it, for item requests. But in the
future, the context of an item request can be made more evident by Linked Data.

I think Bibframe is the right place to embody these extended processing instructions alongside
with the bibliographic descriptions.

For a german inter-library loan and document delivery service, I am currently working on a Linked
Data based search implementation, based on the german serial catalog for item order fulfillment,
for both physical and electronic delivery.

Best regards,

Jörg Prante

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:50:08 -0500, Kathleen Lamantia <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I am currently reading the November document and was wondering exactly the same thing
myself.

>Kathleen F. Lamantia, MLIS
>Technical Services Librarian
>330-458-2723

versions (manifestations), which I think is essentially similar to Bibframe's holdings. The attributes
of the items could then be hung off the relationship.

>On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Eric Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I would be interested in any additional details you might be able to share on this point.
>
>I may have spoken too quickly on this point. I was just struck by the fact that in both cases
information about particular items is modeled as a relationship between the
instance/manifestation/publication and the library. In our case, we really didn't say anything more
than that a library owns a publication, but in the future we might want to say something about
availability or account for the case where a library actually only has part of a publication (the bonus
disc is lost or to deal with the fact that OCLC says that presence or absence of accompanying
material doesn't justify a new record).

>Will there be an equivalent to the MARC holdings format in Bibframe? Are holdings annotations
going to be defined as part of Bibframe or will they be left up to individual institutions or groups of
institutions? Is there a plan to deal with more complex situations like serials? There is only a
simple example in the Bibframe report: