On Jan 29, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Kelley McGrath <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Like many things, this is not so simple in practice. The meaning of 245$b depends on the preceding subfield (often, but not always $a). Preceded by : it's a subtitle. Preceded by = it's a parallel title. Preceded by ; it's a second title (another work) by the same person or people as the title in $a. In addition, you can have ISBD punctuation within the subfield for parallel titles or more titles by the same person/people.

Although I think this screams of the need to actually use a defined vocabulary for these semantics and not packing that onto the last character of the preceding subfield.

http://rdvocab.info/Elements/parallelTitleProper
http://rdvocab.info/Elements/titleProper
http://rdvocab.info/Elements/otherTitleInformation
http://rdvocab.info/Elements/parallelOtherTitleInformation