Michael-

  I don't know whether there is any further development going on in
Z39.50 these days, since it is pretty ancient technology and is
largely being supplanted by SRU/SRW, but Z39.50 already handles
communication formats other than USMARC, including SUTRS.  I would
imagine that any replacement technology for the Z39.50 protocol would
consider the bibliographic communication standard that emerges from
BibFrame, given the weight of the community behind this project, and
be accepting of BibFrame records.  I don't think that you need worry
that BibFrame records would arrive in an indigestible format.

   Charley

--
Charley Pennell
Principal Cataloger