From the point of view of encoding conversion, you are correct. Encoding conversions are fairly routine and straight forward.

The point of my original respose was the overall internationalisation architecture of which character encodings is just one aspect of.

On 08/01/2013 7:03 PM, "J. McRee Elrod" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I hate to tell you this but numbers aren't language neutral.

While they are Arabic, we find our clients accept them regardless of
their own language or script.  Perhaps the Chinese do because they
have no zero?

Germans have said that they will use German based codes for
relationships, as opposed to the English based MARC codes.  I doubt if
many non Anglophone countries will use English html markup.  The IFLA
ideal of Universal Bibliographic Control (UBC) would seem to be
becoming ever more impossible.

Mac

   __       __   J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([log in to unmask])
  {__  |   /     Special Libraries Cataloguing   HTTP://www.slc.bc.ca/