Good afternoon, Bibliographic Exchange community,

Last fall, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation generously awarded the National Information Standards Organization (NISO) with a grant to support an initiative that will develop a community roadmap toward a new bibliographic exchange environment.  This roadmap will help support movement toward a future of bibliographic information exchange ecosystem. The bibliographic roadmap initiative aims to bring together as diverse a set of stakeholders as possible to build agree around on a common development path for bibliographic information exchange.  Using a consensus process, NISO hopes to build agreement about the problems that we face, which are the best available solutions, and work toward coordinating community efforts.  The project is not trying to duplicate efforts already underway, nor is it trying to drive a particular agenda, nor support a single community project. Through open virtual dialogue and an in-person meeting�again open and publicly accessible�, the initiative will ascertain the necessary elements of a bibliographic standards environment that are implementable, suit our global networked information environment, support data sharing, and are economically viable.

Over the course of the next nine months, NISO will host one face-to-face meeting in the United States and several global webinars, as well as organize at least three working group efforts during the periods between webinars. These meetings will be conducted to explore priorities and coordinate the requirements of key communities including: libraries of all types including national libraries; technologists represented by organizations such as the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI); library system providers; as well as other international standards development organizations. The end result of this work will be a report that will identify exchange points where standards development is needed, and document suggested areas where functionality testing should be performed.  It should help pinpoint at a high level the development priorities and coordination points needed over the next 24-36 months.

NISO will be hosting an open community teleconference to launch this project on Thursday, January 17 at 9:00 ET (UTC -5:00) and we encourage community involvement in that meeting. The purpose of this call will be to introduce the community to this project, outline our goals, answer any questions and begin to map out planning the project and identify dates and locations for the in-person meeting that the Mellon Foundation has funded.  We expect the call will take about 60 minutes.

Please use the following dial-in:
  Toll-Free (US & Can) 1-877-375-2160
  Conference ID: 767-11-246#
 For a list of international dial-in numbers visit: https://ccimeet.tcconline.com/listNumbersByCode.action?confCode=76711246

More information about the project can be found on the NISO website: http://www.niso.org/topics/tl/BibliographicRoadmap/  We will also record the call and will post the recoding to this page after the event.  You can also find an extract of the proposal describing the project in detail at that page.

If you plan to attend, please send an RSVP to [log in to unmask] prior to Thursday morning.

We look forward to speaking with many of you on Thursday.

With kindest regards,

Todd Carpenter
Executive Director, NISO