I've been listening in for some time and this posting gave me pause for thought.

"but I'm not sure that the US library world is on board."

I think that one of the issues I'M attempting to grappling with is not the underlaying structure of the data (I.E. MARC21, marcxml, rdf, etc.) it is the going to be the interface that the professionals use to create the data and maintain the data.

The historical hangup is going to be the fact that Catalogers have been using input screens that represent the MARC record (more or less raw, without the Directory data) and over the decades the editors have become sophisticated enough for the user to gain help to the coding.

What will be needed to get catalogers to "buy in" to the shift to a new structure, is an editor which the data can be created, manipulated and maintained without know how to use xml coding (or other "<coding>") knowledge.

A reminder that MARC was supposed to be "under the hood" and not for the end userócataloger.  No one developed the interface any further and it has become the "defacto" editor.

This is where you will have major pushback from the Librarians that are in technical services more than anything else.  Of course, our ILS vendors need to step up to the plate and show us some next-generation models for the creation/maintenance/manipulation with input from the users who create the data.

I believe that this will be the *major* hurdle to overcome.  Once I see an input screen that is as efficient and easy to use as the MARC record is, than I don't care how it lies underneath.  I'll be willing to bet librarians will want to add more data than ever before and tie all things together in neat packages (read: FRBR, RDA, etc.)

Jeffrey Trimble
Associate Director &
Head of Information Services
William F.  Maag Library