There is discussion on fitting RDA into the MARC 21 record structure. Regardless of whether or not we keep anything that resembles MARC, why are catalogers ridiculed for their own language and jargon when every other profession has their own jargon?

Cindy

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Allen Trimble
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Input screens

So, this has me thinking the question:  "If MARC is the language of catalogers, then why change?  Why not enhance the MARC21 record structure to accommodate all of the things BIBFRAME has been discussing?

Why not create sub-records linked to it in the MARC format?  We have Authority records linked to Bibliographic records (some are soft linked and other are hard-linked using VOC), item records that contain much of the 852 data (location, sometimes call#, barcode, circulation statistics, etc),

Patron records, etc.

Could we not create:

Manifestation level records

Container level records

Content note records

Deep data indexing records

Etc. etc. etc.

All in MARC21 and linked to the bibliographic record?

Oh yes, could marc not be expanded to a 4-digit tag, and be redefined to say 1TB for size?  Storage is cheap.

This is theory only if we agree with Bernhard that MARC is the language of catalogers.  What's going on "under the hood" doesn’t matter to them [catalogers], as long as the language doesn't change.

Yes, a Tower of Babel would be so helpful today—not.

Jeffrey Trimble

Associate Director &

Head of Information Services

William F.  Maag Library