From: Barbara Tillett <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Friday, January 18, 2013 9:55 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Input screens

Let's please not dumb down the possible elements for the sake of a very simple element set - that was done with Dublin Core, which has proven helpful for limited applications but has limits when more granularity/detail is needed. Let's learn from that and enable the future framework to meet the needs of all users.

Our future framework really must accommodate details that will be important for humans.  Plus we need to do it in a way that machines can easily manipulate so humans can understand and see connections/relationships and confirm/distinguish among similar things in order to do what they wish with information.  If we can accommodate details, then we can simplify our display and uses of that data - condensed into a shorter/brief view of data or mapped to broader categories of data; but if we only provide a few elements, we can't go from generalities to details when that is needed.