I agree with both Diane and Buzz,

I finished my MLIS at UW in 2010, and I've been working at a small branch
of the A&M system since then. I would say that the small amount of
'practical cataloging' covered in LIS 530 (I didn't take the advanced
cataloging course) wasted precious time, especially in the short ten week
period. When it came time to learn how to do MARC records it seemed like
most people either didn't get it, or if they did it wasn't enough coverage
to really be meaningful once they got a job. I learned most of my practical
cataloging skills working as a copy cataloger at UC Davis (back when Buzz
was still there : ) ) and through internships. I would say keeping the
focus on the theory, history and future in the LIS courses is sound advice.
I think it's great that you are highlighting the INFX courses, I wish I had
taken more than just the one needed to graduate. I am kicking myself for
not taking more than just INFX 542. I don't know if the iSchool  has
developed a specialization track for cataloging and metadata, but if they
are, most of those INFX courses should be required for graduating.

Diane is right about there not being many opportunities for continuing
education for people in traditional cataloging roles, and I know I will
become obsolete without updating my skills.  I am starting to take an open
course on databases from Stanford in two weeks, and I am going trough the
open course offerings of MIT to see if there are useful open courses for me
to take. For now it's the best I can do.

Good luck on your presentation Allyson, I wish I could be at ALA midwinter
to see it.

Best,

Nerissa Lindsey

Catalog Librarian