This is great Kathryn & all - thank you so much for taking the time to respond!
Allyson (busily preparing for panel on Friday)

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathryn La Barre
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [eduCAT] Seeking input for upcoming ALCTS CAMMS talk

I'm proud to work closely with three talented and creative instructors at GSLIS, Bobby Bothmann, Dennis Quinn, and K.R. Roberto in providing this part of the curriculum at the U of IL. I polled them, and these are their
answers:

1)      What topics *you* think ought to be covered in a contemporary
cataloging curriculum;

 The basics of metadata: what they are and how they work. The whole point of RDA is to allow us to use metadata from various sources and merge them together without the need to exhaustively cite the source or to amend the display. Also how the metadata work in a typical ILS and how serves the purpose and theory of descriptive cataloging.

The basics of linked data. It still feels too early to know or see how linked data will function in the cataloging universe, but incorportating this into cataloging seems essential to me. As I don't even know how we will be using it yet I'm not entirely certain how to introduce it and make the topic sync--so any ideas are very welcome here!

Fundamentals of classification. Our key-word/Google environment laxness will get the better of us; my guess is when linked data comes into its own.
Those who don't classify will find themselves kicking their proverbial backsides. Emphasis on topical subject analysis vs. genre analysis and why we want to be specific and direct is still exceedingly important.

Ethics. To me this doesn't need more explanation, but so often I hear why do we do this work when no one will use it; or we don't need to include this information in a catalog record for some time saving reason. There is certainly overkill in some cataloging, but understanding the ethics of cataloging and subject analysis is critical to information literarcy and good librarianship. Also important here is a survey of classification bias and the prevalence of ethnocentrism within our KOSs.

Dissolution of the boundary between "cataloging" and "metadata".

 Discussion of the future of (post-MARC) bibliographic frameworks, at a minimum, discuss the current developments and their implications for potential future practices.

2)      What competencies you think are core (I will probably refer to the
ALA Core Competences and also - maybe -the ALCTS competencies, although I'm not sure how up to date these are);

Ethics,

Analytical skills
Section 3 of ALA Core covers it well, in broad strokes (with sections 2 and
4 to round it out).

Stress the importance of conceptual modeling and critical/analytical thinking; we cannot properly organize what we do not clearly understand.

3)      New courses (within the last 5 years or so) at your schools/in your
programs that contribute to educating a 21st century cataloger.  I'd also like to give a list of these from varying programs to the audience.

New courses:

Well - not new, but we recently changed the title of our Cataloging and Classification I and II courses to reflect the changing content to:
Introduction to Bibliographic

Metadata and Advanced Bibliographic Metadata.

Other courses

Metadata in Theory and Practice (new name)

Rare Book Cataloging

Cataloging for School Libraries

Cataloging of Non-print materials

Topic Maps

We have two seminars that are taught irregularly:

Subject Access Systems

Knowledge Organization Systems

Wish I could hear this talk and join you all for conversation afterward!!

--
Kathryn La Barre
President ISKO C/US