Hi Everyone -

I just wanted to send an e-mail to invite you and your staffs to the
Department of the Interior Library on Wednesday, January 9th from 10:00 am
to 12:00 pm for a training session entitled "Compiling a Federal
Legislative History: A Step-by-Step Example for Advanced Researchers," part
of our series of free training sessions at the DOI Library.

In order to find the legislative intent of a bill or public law,
researchers need to compile reports, testimony, debate, and other materials
related to that piece of legislation to find keys as to what Congress hoped
to accomplish by passing the bill. The final compilation of all these
materials provides the researcher with a "legislative history" of the bill
or law in question and hopefully will answer the question of what Congress
intended with this legislation. Those familiar with legislative history
research who are interested in learning advanced processes used in
compiling a federal legislative history will find this program invaluable.
A specific Public Law will be the focus of a step-by-step piecing together
of a legislative history, using print resources such as the U.S. Statutes
at Large, Congressional Record, and U.S. Congressional Serial Set. Online
sources of federal legislative history information will also be
highlighted. This program will be conducted by DOI Law Librarian Maureen
Booth and Reference Librarian Shyamalika Ghoshal.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the
Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in
Washington.  Space is limited so please contact the Library by phone at
(202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] to let us know you will be
coming.     *
*
For more information about future DOI Library Training Sessions, we
encourage you to visit our Training Sessions website at
http://www.doi.gov/library/programs/training.cfm.

We hope to see you on January 9th!

George Franchois
Director
U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of Facilities and Administrative Services
1849 C Street, NW, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240
Phone: (202) 208-3796
Fax: (202) 208-6773