An Appreciation for Dr. Robert O. Ellett, Jr. , 1964-2013

His colleagues at the Library of Congress were deeply saddened to learn of the sudden and untimely death of Dr. Robert Ellett, Jr., who was chief cataloger at the Joint Forces Staff College.  Many of us knew Robert because he was especially active in the Program for Cooperative Cataloging community.  He was a regular contributor of records, creating over 8,000 bibliographic records and over 1,700 authority records representing the Joint Forces Staff College collections in internationally shared databases.  Others at the Library of Congress had the pleasure of working with Robert in ALA committees and programs.
In his doctoral research and in his role as instructor for online cataloging, Robert made the study of cataloging both important and fun.  It is evident in his students' tributes to him that they saw what we have seen-Robert Ellett was a generous and gentle man, a dedicated professional whose enthusiasm conveyed his love for his work and for those around him.   We will miss this valued colleague and library leader while we will always be grateful for his friendship and many contributions to librarianship.

Susan R. Morris (Special Assistant to the Director, Acquisitions and Bibliographic Access)
with Carolyn Sturtevant, BIBCO Coordinator, Cooperative and Instructional Programs Division
Library of Congress