The MODS Editorial Committee has discussed this in the context of the suggestion that we be able to show the missing information for authors (i.e. "et al" as specified in this email and previous ones):
http://listserv.loc.gov/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1212&L=mods&T=0&X=6C917F7982F054C466&P=1430

We have come up with the following proposal to accommodate this need.

Proposal:  define element <etal>, subelement of <name>

<name> currently has the following subelements:
  <namePart>
  <displayForm>
  <affiliation>
  <role>
  <description>

<etal> would be added to the list of <name> subelements, to indicate that there are one or more names that, for whatever reason, cannot be explicitily included.

<etal> could occur as:
o    an empty element, as in <etal/>, or
o    with simple content, as in for example <etal>et al.</etal>; in this case the content is what is suggested for display.

When <etal> occurs (either empty or with simple content):
         <namePart> MAY NOT occur
         <displayForm> MAY NOT occur.
         <affiliation>, <role>, <description>   MAY occur (but are not repeatable).

Example:
author=(Scheffler, Thomas and others)

<name>
<namePart>Scheffler, Thomas</namePart>
</name>
<name>
<etal>and others</etal>
</name>

-or- (if you don't want to put in a value for display):

<name>
<namePart>Scheffler, Thomas</namePart>
</name>
<name>
<etal/>
</name>

We propose to add this to version 3.5, which is almost ready to go out for public review. The Editorial Committee will consider additional changes in the next version to accommodate the other types of situations where there is missing information, as detailed in Ben's message below.

Rebecca

Rebecca Guenther
Library of Congress
Network Development & MARC Standards Office