Vicki,

This has always been one of the more confusing (and less-documented) areas of NACO work at the program level, and has been applied and interpreted at the local institutional level, taking into account local cataloging policies.

Some NACO catalogers take unauthorized access points in OCLC or SkyRiver into account in their NACO work, and others do not. Early in my NACO training days I made a big deal about this and recommended that catalogers always take those unauthorized access points in OCLC, SkyRiver (or RLIN, too, back then) into account, but as time has passed, I am less forceful-- and the overall importance of considering those unauthorized access points has diminished and is now left up to local institutional policy.

You referred to Personal Name FAQ #17 (repeated below), but Personal Name FAQ #16 also gives more guidance. (The FAQs talk about an AACR2 environment, but the same discussion applies to the RDA environment as well):

http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/naco/personnamefaq.html

16.  May the guidelines in LCRI 22.17-20 be applied (to new names being established) in order to avoid conflict with unestablished headings on bibliographic records in the file in which I'm cataloging?

The wording in this LCRI indicates that the guidelines may only be applied to conflicts with established names ("Add to the heading being established..." and "Change the established heading...") These alternatives mostly work in LC's catalog, where in principle, all names are established. In other databases (e.g., OCLC and SkyRiver), many names are not established. Consequently, the relationship of the unestablished names to this LCRI is ambiguous. Would you clarify?

Yes, catalogers may apply the guidelines in LCRI22.17-22.20 for resolving conflicts with both established and unestablished headings.

In a perfect cataloging world all access points would have authority records to support them. In recent years diminishing resources and increasing receipts in all libraries (including LC) have led to the increase of bibliographic records without authorized headings.

LC practice is to resolve conflicts with other headings in the NAF as well as unestablished headings in the LC catalog as encountered. The guidelines provided in LCRI22.17-22.20 are applied in this situation and BFM is performed as necessary.

PCC catalogers using AACR2 or RDA are encouraged to follow their local institutional and utilities' cataloging policies with regard to this question.

Note: there is no NACO requirement to create NARs for all headings used as access points on bibliographic records unless the bibliographic records are to be coded "pcc". Under RDA this practice will continue.

17.  What should a NACO cataloger do if there are unestablished headings for other persons in the file in which the cataloging is conducted (e.g., OCLC or SkyRiver) which conflict with the heading being established and there is no additional information to differentiate the names?

There are three options open to NACO participants in this situation:

1.       Do not create a NAR for the heading (BIBCO participants--do not code the bibliographic record "pcc")

2.       If possible(and local policies/resources allow) create unique NARs for each of the other headings in the files

3.       Create an undifferentiated NAR (AACR2 22.20) to include all the unestablished names (this means some research was performed and option 2 could not be applied)

Paul

Paul Frank

Cooperative Programs Section

Cooperative and Instructional Programs Division

Library of Congress

101 Independence Ave., SE

Washington, DC 20540-4230

202-707-1570