On 08/02/2013, L. Hunter Kevil wrote:

> Pace Don Cox, electrostatic speakers, by Quad or any other
> manufacturer, are definitely NOT infinite baffle designs. They are
> planar speakers, completely different from the conventional cone and
> voice-coil drivers used in box speakers. Magneplanar speakers, while
> not electrostatics, are well known American-made planars. Planars
> don't even look anything like infinite baffles.

I do know how electrostatic speakers work. I've used them for decades.

A baffle is a large board on which a speaker drive can be mounted, so
that out-of-phase sound from the back doesn't wander round to the front
and interfere with the direct sound.

Ideally, the board is infinite in area. As said, it could be (as a
compromise) a wall between two rooms.

In practice, a board a few feet square gives useful results, as the
Wharfedale design showed.

Some people think that a closed box full of wool or similar material can
give the same result as an infinite baffle, and they market such boxes
as "infinite baffle" designs. I think this is a misnomer.

Picture of the Wharfedale design here:

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/loudspeakers/68-technology/139-designing-loudspeakers-part-20-open-baffle-room-responses.html

http://tinyurl.com/atm6ver

Regards