On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>For instance, in my case, I don't like the
> overly-orchestrated big-band stuff starting with Whiteman and going up
> through the Dorseys and Glenn Miller. But I love the faster, stronger-beat
> stuff like Count Basie, Fletcher Henderson, Duke Ellington and now I just
> got McKinny's Cotton Pickers CD and love that too.

The "Hut-Sut Song" and "Mairzy Doats" can grow on you, if you just
give them a chance, Tom.

Seriously, though, I used to look at the artists Tom mentioned as
being a little tired and old fashioned.  I didn't really start
appreciating them until I was a little older and noticing that the
arrangements, musicianship and talent make the music much more
interesting that I used to think, especially when I heard rather
uninspiring interpretations of standards by later artists and bands.
Hearing Bing croon or Miller swing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but
you have to admit there's some good stuff there.

Sometimes it's fun to take the 'a' train, but I'm always up taking a
sentimental journey.

Randy