In that case, I do have it backwards. So then make sure a technical program group runs parallel to a
history/music group as much as possible.

Mike's got a good point also as far as general interest is concerned. Try and set it up so the panel
on minute opera obscura isn't running opposite the panel on minute database obscura unless the
expectation is that 90% of attendees will be elsewhere.

I don't mean to short-shrift the cataloging/database field. It's very important as far as the macro
topic of preservation and successful access by the public is concerned. But it's a very specialized
area, with true experts involved. It therefore is inherently not of general interest, espcially to
the contingent of hobbyist/collectors. The same can be said for the dark corners of music and
discography obscura. All of it definitely as a place in ARSC, of all organizations. But at the
conferences, care should be taken to have running parallel something of more general interest.

It's helpful to post the audio and some slides after the conferneces. I wish this were done in a
more timely manner. I'm able to get my companies conferences put to a CD-ROM with complete MP3 audio
(carved from unedited WAV files) and PDF of slides, in a couple of work days (16-20 man hours,
working at a relaxed pace). ARSC has three days, rather than one day, and parallel session, so
reasonably speaking it's more like 40+ man-hours. But sometimes it takes nearly a half year for
audio to show up online. And why so few slides? Providing slides online should be a requirement of
being provided a presentation forum at ARSC. I'm OK with making conference content members-only
access. Let more people pony up the meager membership cost, in fact if more people would join, the
membership cost could be held steady for a long time or go down.

-- Tom Fine

PS -- I'd also like to see PDF of ALL ISSUES of the ARSC Journal provided online for members.
Perhaps people who must have the printed version should pay a little extra? That's how AES works,
and they have greatly reduced their printing costs.