I recall some studies about pressing differences that were reported, as I remember, in 'One-to-One' magazine. The results showed that CDs from different plants did sound different when compared to a 1630 original, a conclusion that was 'politically incorrect' then and uncomfortably incorrect now. Given the manufacturing short-cuts being taken in CD plants (double-speed cutting, for instance), the sourcing from non-U-matic 'originals', and the mistaken assumption that these procedures don't affect the sound, one should ought not be surprised that discs don't sound the same.

All the above also explains why at least one Japanese outfit is selling glass CDs, along with a booklet explaining why this expensive process, based on their experience with CD manufacturing, is worth the extra Yen ...

Mike Gray