Since Tom mentioned me.

On 2013-02-11 8:21 AM, Tom Fine wrote:

> 1. dbPowerAmp is a good, reliable, fast ripper. I suggest rip to FLAC
> because it includes tag info like MP3 and works in all the higher-end
> streaming players (and my lower-end but awesome Logitech Squeezebox
> Touch, from which I feed SPDIF to my Benchmark DAC/Pre in the living
> room). If you want to go all-Apple, then use iTunes but rip to Apple
> Lossless Format (Apple continues to stubbornly refuse to support FLAC
> in their iTunes/iPod stuff). dbPowerAmp is also a many-format
> converter/transcoder. It uses AccurateRip technology, so non-obscure
> CDs can be ripped with some quality assurance.
My ~500 CD rip this past summer (inluding the MLP, RCALS, and Decca
boxes) done by my long-suffering son, Robert, used Exact Audio Copy in
FLAC. I understand foobar2000 also rips to FLAC. My friend Don Ososke
uses it.

> 2. I really like foobar2000 as a player, at least for Windows. The
> more I use this, the more confident I am that it's not mangling the
> bits. Its interface is not quite on par with iTunes, but it's pretty
> damn good.
Agreed

> 3. once you've gone through the effort of doing all that ripping --
> KEEP YOUR HARD DRIVE BACKED UP, MULTIPLE TIMES. A single-unit RAID
> won't do it, in my opinion. I recommend external backups, and if you
> get really serious you'll want off-site external backup. Richard Hess
> has much information and many opinions from hard learned lessons on
> this topic.
They were not hard-learned. They were up-front analyses to avoid having
any hard-learned lessons. Please see:
http://richardhess.com/notes/category/computer-data/data-storage/
The current top article is most of the story. My current philosophy is
three copies in three locations, two of them RAID-5, one sealed-in-steel
standalone 2.5" USB 3.0 HDDs.

> Oh, also ...
>
> 4. DON'T TOSS YOUR CDS. Keep them organized and safe. When it comes to
> computers and hard drives , you never know ...
And, more importantly, those CDs are your "licence" to have the music on
your servers...and you don't want a parrot, eyepatch, hook, or have to
say "ARRRRRGH Matey" all the time.

Cheers,

Richard