Hi, Henry,

As to your question "Does anybody know how an amateur reel-to-reel
recording could have gotten this way?" the answer is "let me count the
ways."

First of all, just to be 100% certain, please run a calibration tape to
make 100% certain that the playback machine is not connected in reverse
polarity. Often this type of thing can happen when a head is swapped,
for example. The head is basically a balanced device and could be hooked
up in either polarity. It is uncommon to have this happen, but in some
instances (ReVox A77, for example) the colour codes are not immediately
obvious (I wrote the colour code on the chassis under the trim plate on
most of my machines back in the day). This could happen to the record
deck or the play deck as a head is swapped out.

Of course, there are other places where polarity can be swapped in a
system, but in a consumer system with unbalanced interconnects, it is
more difficult to invert the polarity in the wiring. If the connections
are balanced, the polarity could be inverted at any number of places,
including a wiring error (birth defect or maintenance error) within the
machine.

It is possible to see an in-polarity signal at one frequency and an
out-of-polarity signal at another frequency with badly mis-adjusted
azimuth, but I do not think that is what you are describing. An example
might be tuning azimuth at 16 kHz and getting it off by one cycle which
would be 1/2-cycle at 8 kHz. That, however, when summed would show a
loss of highs.

A funny story: I was playing a video that I had made for a family
member's memorial service at a church I had never been to previously. I
struggled to understand why the voice of the deceased did not play in
the soundtrack at the church but was fine on my computer. The answer is
described at length here:
http://richardhess.com/notes/2012/12/12/the-phone-plug%e2%80%94uses-and-misuses/

Cheers,

Richard