On 2/12/2013 5:22 PM, Paul Stamler wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a book I can cite about the phenomenon of "cutover", where
> an overmodulated phonograph groove cuts through the wall into the adjacent
> groove, causing skipping in playback? I remember, from many years ago, a
> discussion of this someplace, including a photo of a cutover groove, but I
> can't find it now. I thought it was in the Radiotron Designer's Handbook, but
> it doesn't seem to be.
> If someone could recommend such a reference -- ideally including the term
> "cutover" -- I'd be most grateful.

The term we used at RCA Victor was "overcut"

I believe the Audio Cyclopedia by Howard Tremaine has that detail.

... Graham Newton

Audio Restoration by Graham Newton,
World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's CAMBRIDGE processes.