Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=104). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV 16.0 - ARSCLIST Archives

Dear Doug,

There are several ways to keep in the loop about ARSC's active New York
Chapter.  I believe Dennis Rooney, NY Chapter Chair, can add you to his
group list.  You can contact him at [log in to unmask]

Other options are:

1. Check the list of forthcoming events on the NY Chapter's webpage at
http://www.arsc-audio.org/chapters/newyorkchapter.html.  We'll post updates
monthly.

2. Check ARSC's homepage under "News and Events":
http://www.arsc-audio.org/index.php.  We try to post an announcement with
details at least a week before the event date.

3. Watch for an announcment to be sent out on ARSCList a week before the
event.

Thanks for inquiring.  The NY Chapter has a great program this season!  The
next meeting is this Thursday with a presentation by Tom Fine.   Here are
the details below.

All the best,
Kim

Kimberly Peach
ARSC Web Editor

 ARSC New York Chapter

FEBRUARY 2013 Meeting

7 P. M. Thursday, 2/21/13
at the CUNY Sonic Arts Center
West 140th Street & Convent Avenue, New York
or enter at 138th Street off Convent Avenue
Shepard Hall (the Gothic building) – Recital Hall (Room 95, Basement level) An
elevator is located in the center of the building

TOM FINE and “The Dawn of Digital”

Tom Fine will summarize his research that led to his ARSC Journal article,
"The Dawn of Digital Recording," present some additional facts about
"firsts" in the commercial digital recording field, and play some examples
of early digital recordings. We have now "lived digital" in the
professional recording business for 40+ years. To put that in perspective,
that's a greater number of years than from the dawn of electrical disk
recording to stereo Lps. Since the 1970s, much of the early digital history
has been lost or mythologized (the latest example being wrong "history"
posted at the NARAS P&E Wing's website). The ARSC Journal article and this
multi-media presentation aim to set the record straight, presenting
first-hand accounts, recorded sound examples and discographical
information.

Tom Fine is a writer, editor and sound engineer based in Brewster NY. He is
a member of ARSC and the AES. His analog-to-digital transfer business
concentrates on large institutional/archival and private collections. Most
of the analog audio collection of Poets House, located in Battery Park
City, was transferred by Fine. All of that audio is now available to
patrons in a central, searchable digital multi-media database. Fine most
recently worked on production and wrote booklet copy for the new Mercury
Living Presence CD and Lp box sets to be released this spring from
UMG/Decca Classics.
  [image: page1image15728]

OUR NEXT PROGRAM WILL BE ON MARCH 28, 2013

“The Two Garys”

A joint presentation on
Jürgen Grundheber, (“Archivist/Pirate”) and tenor Helge Roswaenge

by Gary Thalheimer and Gary Galo, respectively

vvv

DIRECTIONS TO THE SONIC ARTS CENTER

Subway: Take the 1 train to 137th Street City College and walk north to
140th St. & Broadway, then go east to 140th St. & Convent Avenue. Take the
A, B, C, or D trains to 145th St, go south on St. Nicholas to 141st St,
(one long block), then west one block to Convent Avenue.
and south one more block to 140th & Convent Avenue.

Bus: M4 and M5 on Broadway; M 100, 101 on Amsterdam Ave (one block West of
Convent A venue.)

vvv

The Sonic Arts Center at CCNY offers 4-year Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees
in Music with a concentration in Music and Audio Technology. Their program
provides an in- depth curriculum emphasizing real-world skills with a
project-based approach. Students enjoy a well-rounded program, with
emphasis on audio technology, music theory, orchestration, and history to
help them compete in a field that today demands an ever- growing and highly
diverse skill set.

vvv

All ARSC NY Chapter meetings are free and open to the public.

Voluntary contributions to help defray our expenses are welcome!

To join ARSC, visit http://www.arsc-audio.org