Sorry for the typo. It should have read:

"causing the ki
Hi Lou,

Sorry for the typo. It should have read:

"causing the kick drum to lose its edge."

Regarding "Trap drums":
The term, as I understand it, goes back to Vaudeville where the drummers of the era had a bunch of "contraptions" consisting of cow bells and various percussion gadgets mounted so that they were playable by one person (the drummer). Traps or "Trap drums" became a contraction of the word "contraptions" and now refers to a drum set other than dedicated percussion instruments.

Wikipedia seems to back this up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_kit

Cheers!

Corey