Many classical labels improved their pressing and masterings with the advent of digital,especially RCA and Angel.The impression you get,is too many classical collectors abandoned vinyl as soon as the the CD came in,but if that's true,I wonder who it was that was buying all those big collections of classical records from the 80s,that have been turning up at thrift stores where I live in the last few years. Roger > Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:33:54 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Red Vinyl - Franklin Mint> To: [log in to unmask]> > The 100 Franklin Mint sets were big band jazz; if they did sets in other> genres to the same extent, I don't know them. I think that they are> excellent, though short, and would gladly own them all> but I don't. The alternate takes are not identified in the notes, but one> to one comparisons with issued versions makes clear that some vault> material was used. The "Let's Do It" in the Irving Aaronson> volume is especially fascinating as there are a couple slip ups in the> ensemble and it points up just how hard and intricate those arrangements> were. Also you can hear in some cases the telltale> grinding sound of metal parts being played. But they obviously went to the> best possible sources with each track.> > I always had the impression -- and that's all it is -- is that these sets,> at least the discs, were fabricated by RCA Victor. Despite Dynaflex and the> Ethel Gabriel monstronsities of the 'Sixties, RCA> was doing some of its very best mastering and pressing work in the early to> mid-80s, and this is confirmed by some of the classical LPs I have had> which date from this time. In terms of licensing,> though, the FM sets come from everywhere -- Columbia, RCA and Decca -- so> chances are that aspect of it was handled by someone at Franklin Mint and> not in house, if these were indeed> pressed by a major.> > Uncle Dave Lewis> Lebanon, OH