I got my Cliburn box set last week also.  But I have always been more
interested in his Russian recordings.  When I went to Moscow in 1995,
one of the records on my want list was the LP of the 1958 winners which
included the track of Van Cliburn winning the true hearts of the Soviets
by playing as a totally unexpected encore, "Moscow Nights". This
actually was a new song then, written in 1957, but already it was deeply
loved by Muscovites and the rest of the Russians. It actually is not a
city song, it is about an evening in the Moscow Countryside. It had not
yet been turned into a jazzy number by Britisher Kenny Ball, it was
still just a sweetly sentimental treat. You can hear the sigh of the
audience when they realize what he is playing, just before they applaud.
 I didn't find that record (I understand it is fairly common here in the
U.S.) but what I did get in a record department in Dom Knigi (House of
Books) on Novy Arbat was a 10-inch 78 which is a studio recording made a
few days later and I believe has never been reissued anywhere: 30573.

There is a video on youtube of Cliburn playing that unannounced encore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1vZWJT-XGw

There is another very interesting documentary about the song, narrated i
 Russian, which includes a section where Cliburn SINGS the song in
Russian, at 4:11 in.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duCEV-2yaow

The label picture of the Cliburn 78 is here:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/313317_10200205544653611_1461872688_n.jpg

I also have some label pictures of 3 different copies of the original
recording of the song by Vladimir Troshin.  A 78 with the label in
English, and note the song is titled "Moscow Suburbian Evenings" 27620.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/374533_10200205915062871_900693098_n.jpg

Another 78 with the usual Russian language label:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/577169_10200205926423155_744555079_n.jpg

and a very unusual 6-inch 33 1/3 microgroove copy with an English
language label with the MK logo, D-6311.  MK was the export organization
for books (the name means International Books), records, and philatelic
stamps.  I have a feeling this was sold to tourists in the Beriozka hard
currency stores.  This copy also includes the beautiful 45 second choral
introduction which is cut off of the 10-inch 78s.  They should have put
it out on a 12-inch 78, bit I have no evidence they ever did.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/421884_10200205933703337_1314941769_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/482560_10200205940103497_135712526_n.jpg

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]