I wrote:

I also already have his (Van Cliburn's)> Rachmanioff> #3 on a reel to reel tape, but that recording> lacks the clarity and sound field of his other RCA's; it's> very close> miked and off balance to the right. So, I was surprised when> I found> that people were asking about $60 for the remastered> version, although> it does include the Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 3 which I> imagine is> probably quite different, sonically.

Does anyone on the list have the SACD remaster?  I'd like to know if the Rach 3 is improved or even "fixed" and if the Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 3 is worth the total purchase.
David Burnham wrote:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> You may find the sound of the Beethoven "Emperor"
> disappointing.  I've found RCA's SACDs pretty reliable but
> this one seems to have had a problem.  For me the problem
> is the sound of the orchestra - it's very roomy and
> unfocused, and, strangely, the 2nd violins and the violas
> sound much closer to the mikes than the 1st violins and
> cellos.  This surprised me because Mohr and Leyton produced
> some of their finest recordings in Chicago.  In any case,
> this is just my opinion and others may disagree.
> db

This I'll have to check the "Emperor" more closely, but right now I've been enjoying the Rickard Strauss recordings.  I'll let you know if I hear what you've heard as I get to it.  One way or the other, these RCA "Living Stereo" SACD's are heads and shoulders over the original releases I would think even given their less than perfect results.