Very interesting stuff, Steve.

As anyone who has heard the Marston CD releases of early Edison cylinders
can attest, an Edison cylinder in prime condition can yield remarkably
clear sound.  I heard a demonstration last year at the Edison Museum, where
a batch of stored cylinders had been discovered and heard this for myself.
 You can hear them on the Edison website.  For example, look at:

http://www.nps.gov/edis/photosmultimedia/the-recording-archives.htm

Looking at the evidence discussed in the article, which is circumstantial
evidence given that a Whitman cylinder reportedly did exist at one time but
apparently no longer does, it looks to me like the recording is more likely
than not real (having not heard it myself).  It would take a series of some
extraordinary frauds and coincidences for this to be a fake, given the mass
or circumstantial evidence cited.

And the fact that no recording is mentioned in the Whitman papers and
archives is not evidence of anything.  The absence of a (paper) record of
something is simply not proof that it does not exist.  I believe that this
factor has to be discounted almost completely.  It's not evidence but
rather the absence of evidence, which proves nothing one way or the other.

We may never get a better answer.  Thanks for posting.

John Haley