I've suggested SKOS/foaf:focus as a solution pattern for this. I'll repeat it.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 15, 2013, at 6:33 PM, "Andrew Cunningham" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Karen.

The old library approach made sense back then. To be honest the library sector was tackling Internationalization issues well before the rest of the IT industry and had to create solutions that worked.

But jnternationalisation has undergone dramatic changes since the late 1990s, and honestly has left the library industry far behind.

This results in differences in terminology and concepts. Paradigm shifts.

For instance an ordered list of identifiers to me comprises multiple components ... indexing and stop words on one hand, collation and sorting on another ... and then string matching for search terms is separate again.

I suspect that bibframe doesn't need to address either collation or string matching ... those would be inherited. Although bibframe may need to identify a preferred normalisation form for data. There are various pros and cons esp for CJKV data.

What would need to be addressed is the indexing side. Whether this should be included in bibframe, in a separate spec or via discussion with the UTC and the CLDR people should be approached to include it in CLDR so it is accessible outside library industry and accessible within core development tools is a matter for debate ... if that makes sense?

What we have currently evolved through an historical context. But the context is very different now. And the industry need to leverage off the advances in internationalisation

A.