Sorting doesn't affect how users search; it affects how they browse  a set of hits or the whole corpus of items. If you look at a subject date facet, you'd probably want that in chronological order. If you're looking at names, you might want alpha sorting or frequency of hits sorting. If you are looking at geographic locations, you might want them sorted by continent, country, then city, rather than alpha by whatever's in the field...

Obviously, not everyone would want that, so the system displaying the information would want it to be richly enough encoded to allow for that and other sorting mechanisms.

Nate

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mitchell, Michael [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 10:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Filing indicators

-----Original Message-----
From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Trail, Nate
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 9:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]

[...]

Subject sorting is another animal entirely. I can imagine that you'd want subject temporals to be sorted as you suggest, andthen other subjects might be better sorted according to the type of subjects they are. Names and title subjects might need nonsorting treatment, Hierarchical geographic subjects might best be sorted by location, not alphabetically. There be dragons, unless the data is well controlled.

[...]
============================
Nate Trail
Network Development & MARC Standards Office LS/TECH/NDMSO Library of Congress

It is often alleged that our public can't effectively be taught to conduct alpha searches so how in the world would we teach them to use a system that uses a different method of organization for every type of subject? How would they even know which type of subject they were searching for? Would these organizational suggestions be in addition to alpha sorting?

Michael Mitchell
Technical Services Librarian
Brazosport College
Lake Jackson, TX