Just a few thoughts.

* BCP 47 with extensions developed for CLDR would provide adequate indication of preferred collation.

* sorting/collation in the Unicode context occurs within either a languageless multilingual context, ie DUCET. Which is/has just undergone a few very interesting changes, and locale specific collations identified in CLDR where one or more collations are defined per locale

* matching is more problematic, since it brings in both the need for normalisation and matching grapheme clusters. Although ideally for some languages these would need to be custom rather than default grapheme clusters.