Hi Aaron;

Your note suggests two cases:

(1) querying an actual interval, i.e. when the start and end date are explicitly specified;

(2)  querying a temporal expression, e.g. Renaissance. (Which in itself is two cases, see below.)

There has been little discussion of querying EDTF intervals so there is really nothing to point you to.  There has been some discussion of temporal expressions. The problem with temporal expressions is that there is no recognized controlled vocabulary. (More below.)

actual interval

Say you want to query events whose dates are between yearA and yearB.  This is a fairly easy query even aside from EDTF.  For example using SRU/CQL, there is a built-in relation 'within' where the search term is expressed as a space separated start and end date, thus:

      dc.date within "1900 1999"

For better precision than dc.date can provide, say you have an index - xy.date - known to consist of ISO 8601 dates.  There is a CQL term modifier 'iso8601', and you can express the following query

        xy.date  within/iso8901 "1900-01-01 1900-01-30"

And with little trouble we could define CQL indexes and relations for EDTF. So assuming an index  known to consist of EDTF dates, and say we define a  CQL relation 'withinEDTFInterval'

     xy.date  withinEDTFInterval   "1900-01-01/1900-01-30"

temporal expression

I see two use cases:

(a) find events that occurred during the Renaissance.

(b) find resources associated with the Renaissance.

In any case this relies on the ability to express "Renaissance", that is, it assumes a controlled vocabulary of temporal terms, which might include the term 'Renaissance' and that there is a common understanding of its meaning.

For (a), let's say you are querying resources for those with  date of creation during the Renaissance. Let's say we define a CQL relation 'withinPeriod' where the term is assumed to be a temporal expression. The query could look like:

           xy.dateOfCreation withinPeriod  Renaissance

For (b), say that a resource (e.g. description of a painting) includes metadata listing temporal expressions associated with the resource:

           xy.temporal  =  Renaissance

But as I noted, there isn't any agreed-upon controlled vocabualry for temporal expressions.  Discussion of this came to a halt when we realized that we had to acknowledge this.

If you see this sort of functionality as a requirement, and you would like to move it along  I am happy to help in that effort.

--Ray