From: Jens Østergaard Petersen

> In MODS, @type is used to subcategorize. We don't have <personalName> and

> <corporateName> and so on - and lucky for that.


I don't agree that we are lucky for that.  MODS name, using a type attribute rather than defining separate element names, reflects design thinking of perhaps 12 years ago. It did not consider (too early to) the implications of trying to represent MODS in RDF.


If you were creating RDF properties for these, and you knew up front that there most likely would never be more than a small number of types - personal, conference, corporate, and family, to begin and possibly a small handful added over time - you would create properties personalName, conferenceName, corporateName, and famililyName (all subproperties of property 'name').   I think the same applies to title: uniformTitle, abbreviatedTitle, etc.


In fact, for a MODS element where there might be hundreds of types, some well-known and others not - let's say, <note>  - it isn't clear that just defining <note> with @type is necessarily the best approach.   Suppose you decide that 90% of the time you will use 15 note types and the other 10% the type may be arbitrary.  I would define properties for the more popular types, e.g.  actionNote, adminNote, languageNote, etc. whose objects are all string, and one property 'note" where the object is an object property where the type can be explicitly stated.


Something to consider for version 4 perhaps.