With apologies for cross-posting, I'd like to thank Judy for her email below, and draw colleagues attention to two of the BL's proposals (BL/3 and BL/4), that are included in this update, and will appear shortly in the RDA text. They will greatly increase the range of qualifiers available to create unique authorised access points for personal names, and help expedite the elimination of undifferentiated NARs.

This is also relevant to the decisions cataloguers take, when reviewing those NARs flagged for review under the Phase I RDA changes to LC/NAF, as many existing $c qualifiers will now be acceptable under RDA (though in some cases needing the addition of parentheses).

The following kinds of qualifier will be available to distinguish personal name access points; they will also be recorded in MARC 21 field 368 in authority records, as and when institutions usethe field in personal NARs (I think LC have yet to implement subfield $d for NACO). I've reminded our own cataloguers that none should be recorded in MARC 21 field 374, as they are not Occupations. This list of potential examples is more extensive that that included in the RDA update.

Terms of honour, rank or office:

    Wood, John, Captain
    Appleby, Robert, Sir
    Abraham, Martin, Doctor
    Graves, Ernest, Lieutenant General

Designations for persons named in sacred scriptures:

    Micah (Biblical prophet)
    Zoram (Book of Mormon figure)
    Rachel (Talmudic figure)
    Azazael (Demon)

Designations for fictitious and legendary characters:

    Holmes, Sherlock (Fictitious character)
    Aeneas (Legendary character)
    Hermes (Greek deity)
    Garuḍa (Mythical bird)

Designations for type, species or breed of a non-human entity:

    Lauder Lass (Horse)
    Henrietta (Cat)
    Skipper (Spaniel)
    Congo (Chimpanzee)

Other designations:

    Woods, George (Gentleman)
    Jones, William (Defendant)
    Budd, Henry (Cree Indian)
    Yaśodharā (Wife of Gautama Buddha)

RDA will also include the following as examples of "Other designations". Strictly speaking, they are really examples of Associated Institution and Place of Residence, but we were unable to get them removed from this update, so designations like this can be used in the interim as "Other designations", pending a further change proposal.

    Nichols, Chris (Of the North Oxford Association)
    Independent burgess (of Nottingham)

Regards
Richard

Richard Moore
Authority Control Team Manager
The British Library

Tel.: +44 (0)1937 546806
E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>