Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free
Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures,
entitled "The Jefferson Memorial" on Tuesday, March 19th from 1:00 - 1:45
pm in the Department of the Interior Library.

The Thomas Jefferson Memorial, modeled after the Pantheon of Rome, is
America's foremost memorial to our third president. As an original
adaptation of Neoclassical architecture, it is a key landmark in the
monumental core of Washington, DC. The circular, colonnaded type structure
in the classic style was introduced to this country by Jefferson. Architect
John Russell Pope used Jefferson's own architectural tastes in the design
of the Memorial. His intention was to synthesize Jefferson's contribution
as a statesman, architect, President, drafter of the Declaration of
Independence, adviser of the Constitution, and founder of the University of
Virginia. Despite the many controversies that arose from the site and
design selected for the memorial, it was dedicated on April 13, 1943, the
200th anniversary of Jefferson’s birthday.

Please join Park Ranger Paul O’Brian as he takes a look at the Jefferson
Memorial on its 70th anniversary. In addition to examining the history of
the memorial, he will discuss whether or not Jefferson would have approved
of this monumental structure dedicated in his name. Ranger O’Brian will
also look at Jefferson’s role in the War of 1812, which was raging in this
young nation some 200 years ago.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the
Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in
Washington.  Space for the program is limited so please go to the following
link or scan the QR code beneath my signature line to register:

https://docs.google.com/a/nbc.gov/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGgtcWo5SGpfN3VNNVFobVNSTThyaXc6MQ#gid=0

You may also contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at
[log in to unmask] for more information about this program.  For information
about future DOI Library Park Ranger Speaker Series programs, we encourage
you to visit our Park Ranger Speaker Series website at
http://www.doi.gov/library/programs/speaker.cfm.

We hope to see you on March 19th!

George Franchois
Director
U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of Facilities and Administrative Services
1849 C Street, NW, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240

New e-mail address: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (202) 208-3796