It's a problem all right.  A friend of mine who has put his CD collection
on harddrives spent some real money on a fancy harddrive system--within a
year it failed.  His solution, which I suggested, is forget about expensive
harddrives--use large, relatively cheap consumer ones, replace them often,
and back them up like crazy.  The one thing you know about a harddrive is
that it is certain to fail before too long.  Whatever you do, back up!  Oh,
and keep your originals whenever possible.

Manufactured CD's can fail too.  We have all had a few that have gone bad.

Corporate America runs on fancy harddrives with elaborate off-site back-up
systems.  At the big company where I used to work, which lived on hard
drives, a big drive would fail at a rate of about one every six months.  Of
course they got plenty of use.  I think state of the art at big archives
and libraries that have digitized their holdings depends entirely on big
computer systems with data saved on harddrives.

The problem I have with all of this is that it introduces a human error
factor (not present on a wax cylinder from 1901--all the people who
invented and manufactured it are dead, but it still plays).  Human beings
have to be paid to maintain the big systems, and the day they cut the
budget for those people, or hire Homer Simpson to do the work ....   Also,
very little in the way of error, failure, or natural or man-made disaster
can destroy a huge amount of saved data, forever.  Poof.

If anyone truly invents a permanent digital data storage medium, we need to
buy the stock.

Best,
John Haley