This is a guess, but there is decent evidence indicating that they are
Columbia masters. Tim Brooks's appendix to his and Brian Rust's
Columbia discography notes that master numbers 16000-16999 were made
between 1908 and 1915 and were assigned to 12-inch "Trails
[auditions], specials, personal." In Victor-land, where I used to
spend most of my time, "personal" means commissioned by a third party
and not intended for release by the record company.

It's possible that a date can be found in the Sony Music archives in
NYC. Due to limited resources I don't think that they answer public
reference questions.

Sam Brylawski