I use NAS over ethnernet only. I don't have any current machines that
I would recommend. I know about the speed issue transferring files
with my old NAS.

I just want to say you should not opt for USB based on connection
speed alone. Gigabit ethernet seems widely available these days.
According to wikipedia USB 2.0 has effectively 280MB/s, USB 3.0
perhaps 3.2 Gbit/s. Considering that my old NASs run at ~55% of
network speek, a Gigabit NAS on a Gigabit network should have 600MB/s
or more (just guessing here). Seems enough as long as you connect via
cable. Wireless definitely doesn't work. Perhaps use a dedicated
network for NAS only.

I prefer standalone NAS devices which do not depend on my PC running.
Seems more future proof, e.g. if I buy another PC, laptop etc. and
want to access disk space from anywhere in network. After all, NAS
stands for Network attached storage.

Just my 2 cents.