From:   Steve Ramm <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask],
Date:   23/04/2013 10:53 AM
Subject:        Re: [ARSCLIST] ARSC Conference 2013: Some General
Questions for the LAC Committe
Sent by:        Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List

Sandy and Wendy and Chuck:

Thanks for your previous posts in response to Rainer's questions. Since we

are only three weeks away, I have a few questions that I'm sure the
answers
 would be of interest to others attending. They are basically logistics,
and I  don't think are on the Conference Web site:

I know the Marriott is  one part of town (last time I was there was  the
last ARSC Conference in KC where we stayed at the Westport Inn). And many
of
us won't have cars. We can carpool to meals I guess - though Friday night
is
the  only night without a reception.

So, for those that are coming in early or want to get away for a few hours

during the conference and see sights, what is within reasonable walking
distance  (say 20 minutes or so) or can be reached easily on frequent
public
transport  without changing many buses)?

I used your Restaurant guide and looked at "BBQ and other" near Country
Club Plaza. I certainly recognized about 80% of them 'cause they are major

chains which have locations in Philly and other major cities. For those of
us
who want the "Kansas City Experience" (Isn't that why we are there?, Could

you  (the group of you and others on ARSClist from the area) give us a
"subjective"  list of local places (hey I could do BBQ every day! - Last
great
BBQ was in  Rochester last year!) that we wouldn't know about. There
should be
some good  like steak places for some and I'm sure a few might want
vegetarian. I for one  would love a real BBQ joint (Gates, Bryants, or the
other
place mentioned) But I  fear they are not close.

Also ice cream! (I still remember the place in Westport though not sure in

business.)

And, for the newbies to KC are there special local foods BESIDES BBQ that
you would recommend. (Hey, you folks came to Philly and I got you to the
right  cheese steak and hoagie places and found you real Philly soft
pretzels.)
. So  please editorialize away! we're in your town!

Thanks so much. See many of you in three weeks. And don't forget to
register!

Steve Ramm