What sort of software are you using to record and attach metadata to your
soundfiles? Regrettably, I have not been good about this so far, merely
relying my file naming conventions and memory (particularly not a good
thing to rely upon) to keep track of what I've got (this is not a
professional operation I am talking about, just audio captured or
transferred from various sources as part of my personal collection), but I
am determined to make amends now that I am finding files that I can only
identify by listening to them, if then.

Primarily, I would like to record information about the performance
(players, piece of music, date, location, etc.) and its provenance
(cassette tape, off-the-radio, live, LP). More technical data about the
file itself is less important for my purposes. Simple would be good, but I
am game to learn any system that is well organized and suits my purposes.

Thanks,

Peter Hirsch