Hi Peter,

Back to Peter's original question which has nothing to do with extraction
of tags from the audio files (at least as I read the original question). I
know no specialized software for this purpose, but I would make my own
database/spreadsheet until I find something more suitable. Spreadsheet is
good because it allows you to experiment with the fields you need and it
exports in other formats well enough. So it should be future proof enough
for you and you can start today.

For a few hundred items spreadsheet should work fine. When it grows to
where that's not handy anymore, I would put (import) it in database (some
sql database or Filemaker or Access database). I know that's not really
what you want, but it's cheap and you can start today.

As I understand you use this data primarily for yourself, so you should be
able to figure out what fields you really need by trail and error and you
don't have to rely on any professional data standard. If you do want more
professional data standard, for any reason, perhaps look at IASA
cataloguing rules (http://www.iasa-web.org/iasa-cataloguing-rules). It's
based on what big libraries do with commercial recordings.

best
maurice

PS: Another idea, perhaps, you could also try bibliographic software that
people use to keep track of the publications they cite, such as the very
affordable and high-quality Swiss program Citavi at Citavi.com. I use that
for books. It allows you to document audio files, but I never used it for
that purpose.