On 05/04/2013, Cary Ginell wrote:

> Many of Burns' documentaries are constructed with race as a central
> theme. My problem with Burns is that this idea was preconceived from
> the outset and overwhelmed any other concept. It took the beauty out
> of the subject for me. Unlike baseball players, jazz musicians, or at
> least the ones I've talked to, never made race an issue; it was made
> for them by others, and Burns was one of those "others."

I think Miles Davis did make an issue of race, and possibly the Stan
Kenton orchestra from the other side; but for most people, the music is
what matters and racism is or was an unpleasant situation which they
would have had to face anyway.

There is a great deal of racial and religious prejudice around the
world. Try being white in Zimbabwe, or a Jew in Pakistan. It is not unique
to jazz or to the mid 20C.

Regards
--
Don Cox