Hi, Curtis,

I've been baking longer, but edge shedding as you describe is common if
the tape is slit a bit wide (hard to measure, but that is why the event
is so random--it might be one reel out of a jumbo roll where the
slitting blades were mis-adjusted).

I don't think 24 hours (my norm these days) would show a difference as I
saw this off some 1/2-inch 456 just recently, but it was only the edge.

It is frightening, but I'd just vacuum up the little hairs and be done
with it. Remember, those are about a mil wide and you're dealing with
nominally 82-mil (minimum spec'd is 75 mil from Ampex) track width that
doesn't even go completely to the edge, so you probably don't have any
sound on the little hairs. (I did want to write "hares" in honour of the
season. <smile>)

I would check for debris in the corners of the guides (where the face
meets the top and bottom caps) which can exacerbate this hair-shred but,
overall, if it's coming just from the edges, I think you're safe.

I see 456 doing this more (though I've seen it more on 1/2-inch than
1/4-inch). It has also happened on Agfa and BASF, but not regularly.

I don't have this variant specifically listed, but you might find this
resource of use:
http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/analog-audio/degrading-tapes/

Good luck!

Cheers,