Hi, Chris,

The standard for archival preservation today is managed digital storage
with content stored as computer FILES. Files can be losslessly copied
from one carrier to several others.

Most NAS units today will report disk errors via email.

My philosophy has been three copies in at least two locations. Two of my
copies are on NAS units (I have lost my lease on the off-site location,
so both NAS units will be back in the same building, but one will be in
a fairly secure "bunker-esque" location) and the third copy is on
portable USB drives in a steel ammo case in another location a few km
away. There is about 6 TB of data on the redundant NAS systems (capacity
is currently about 8 TB), another 1 TB of data on a single NAS (not
life-threatening if it goes away, just inconvenient), and about 4-5 TB
in the ammo case.

The only other real alternative to long-ish term storage is LTO tape.

I do not know how to capture HDMI to files, but that seems like the best
route, but probably not efficient storage-wise as HDMI is an
uncompressed display format. You really need to figure out how to get
the FILES off the HDD in the Panasonic. Burning to DVD and then copying
(ripping) the files to the managed storage system would be one
(horrible) option. Isn't there any way you can get the files off the
internal HDD?

I would think that a playback machine, possibly through a time-base
corrector into a computer audio/video capture card would be more
appropriate for an archive transfer than the stand-alone Panasonic unit.

I see you've been ranting on the Interwebs about this with no satisfaction.
http://www.weybridge-audio.co.uk/panasonic-dmr-ex99-dvd-vhs-freeview-recorder.html
says it will write rewritable discs at perhaps 6x and one-write discs at
up to 16x. If you go that route, you will have the DVD as one copy and
then the ripped files on multiple HDDs as backups for the long haul.
Still ugly, but possibly the best option without changing the workflow.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richard