There has been some debate over the years about whether hard drives last longer if they are powered
off when not in use. My experience has been, absolutely yes. So, for instance, the Seagate hard
drive connected via USB to my Logitech Squeezebox digital player (which contains COPIES -- with
other copies on other drives elsewhere -- of all my high-rez and CD-rez non-lossy digital files)
gets turned off when the Squeezebox is off. I found out that if I power the HD on a minute or so
before I power on the Squeezebox, the Squeezebox doesn't have to re-mount the drive and take many
minutes building its internal database. I power the Seagate off after the Squeezebox has fulled
powered off.

As for Chris Brady's original question, I have had good luck dubbing VHS to DVD via a relatively
cheap and very simple JVC machine that I bought years ago. There is a still a Toshiba version on
this format on the market, minus NTSC TV tuners for the recorders. MCM Electronics, among others,
sell that machine. I have the Toshiba at work and it's not as good as the JVC because it doesn't
have automatic tracking setting for VHS playback, so you have to experiment to get ideal tracking
BEFORE you start recording on the Toshiba. All of these machines won't dub VHS tapes with
Macrovision copy protection. I do realize that DVD is a "lossy" format, but VHS is SUPER-lossy! So,
the dub is generally as good as the lousy VHS video was in the first place. Once the DVD is made, it
cam be replicated and also sucked into a hard drive via various software. I've had equally good luck
dubbing the few Laserdisc titles I have that never got put out on DVD. If you have a fancy VHS or LD
player that can accept external sync, you can defeat Macrovision and dub that media to DVD also.
Almost anything that was put out with Macrovision on VHS or LD can be purchased on DVD, generally
for under $10, so you have to assess if your time and effort is worth less than that.

One man's opinions ... I was glad to dump the few commercially-duped VHS tapes we had and replace
them with far superior looking DVDs. Nowadays, common movies are dirt-cheap on DVD (see Amazon "new
and used" affiliated sellers, for instance). So any sort of dubbing of old video media is not worth
my time unless the title is obscure or it's non-commercial material. I'm not a video-snob by any
means, so I highly doubt we'll now replace those DVDs with BluRay discs. The BluRays do look better,
but the DVDs are perfectly enjoyable. The snowy, skew-error-ridden VHS tapes were not.

-- Tom Fine