My experience with Olympus has left me disappointed to the point that I
will never buy another one. My LS-10 failed but was repaired under
warranty. Then it failed again, this time with no warranty. I use it as
a headphone amp now and nothing else. Couldn't rely on it to work.

joe salerno

On 4/14/2013 7:40 PM, Richard L. Hess wrote:
> [...]
> wad of folded over duct tape that I use to avoid scratching things).
>
> One unit that was well received a little while ago was the Olympus, but
> I do not know the current status of Olympus or the unit.
>
> Sony also makes units, but they tend to be more expensive than the
> Tascam or the Zoom.
>
> One thought about instant on is that with the 20-hour battery life of
> the Zoom H2n, you could turn it on when you entered the "possible
> recording zone" and then take it out and double punch the record button
> and you're in (the first punch puts it in record standby with the meters
> running...at least that is how the H2 works).
>
> Whatever you do, do not get a "voice recorder" or "dictation recorder".
> Make certain it will give you WAV and MP3 files. I normally record WAV
> though for long things I have used MP3 on occasion.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>
> On 2013-04-14 6:53 PM, Peter Hirsch wrote:
>> Thanks all for the excellent guidance.
>>
>> Thom, the Transom looks like a particularly good resource for me. I'm
>> not planning a career as a documentarian, but my personal interests
>> are totally in synch with what I saw in a brief glance at the site.
>>
>> Richard, the reason I made my intentionally somewhat provocative
>> remark about smartphones is that I don't have a cell phone and am not
>> planning on letting one intrude on my life anytime in the future. I do
>> wonder, on second thought, whether an iPod touch, which seems to be
>> essentially an I-phone without the phone might be an option. I know as
>> about iPods and I do about iPhones (nothing), so there are people
>> reading this who can advise based on their own experiences with
>> recording on one and the ease of transferring those recordings to a
>> suitable editing/listening environment.
>>
>> To further inquire of the collective experience of this list, let me
>> ask a more targeted question: Since I plan on using this recorder
>> mostly in unplanned situations, where a machine that turns on as close
>> to instantaneously as possible and doesn't require a number of steps
>> to getting the recording mode started would be what I have in mind.
>> These features are my main concerns, followed by size and audio
>> quality (I would think that anything capable of creating uncompressed
>> files would suffice for me), more of less in that order. Do you know
>> of any that are superior in this regard or ones that a clumsy to
>> operate in a hurry that I should avoid?
>>
>> Thanks once more,
>>
>> Peter Hirsch
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Richard L. Hess
>> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> Hi, Peter,
>>>
>>> Whey you say "no smart phones need apply" it is my understanding that
>>> there
>>> are good-quality audio interfaces for the iPhone, just say'n.
>>>
>>> To that end, I have a Zoom H2 which is amazingly good for the price. The
>>> slightly thicker, but otherwise improved Zoom H2n seems decent...not
>>> for me to buy it as the H2 meets my needs (I do have other more serious

>>> http://zoom.co.jp/products/h2n      Zoom H2n

--
Joe Salerno