Print

Print


Hi Don:

I have never seen any stats indicating those control boards have a failure rate anywhere near that 
of hard drives, so that's a bet I'd be willing to take. The RAID would be redundant backup, so the 
original would still be there even if the RAID failed. My thinking with the RAID is that it's 
"triple" protection, but I do see your point that it's only as strong as the PSU and control board.

So if I were to stick with two external drives that are essentially copies of each other, is there 
anything that runs quietly (ie no crashes, not a resource hog) in the background and just writes 
every save-as and save to both drives? I'm OK waiting for two save-as or save write cycles, even 
with large audio files, because that's better than having to remember to back everything up all the 
time. Or, is there backup software that will just keep the drive sync'd without crashing Windows or 
hogging resources to Soundforge fails, crashes or otherwise screws up. Basically, I'm very leery 
about any of this on the studio DAW because it's mission critical to run Soundforge 100% right 100% 
of the time. Otherwise, time is money!

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Don Cox" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] current small studio RAID recommendations


> On 16/04/2013, Tom Fine wrote:
>
>> Is anyone using any of the USB-attached RAID backup systems? If so,
>> can you share your recommendations and experienced. Connection would
>> be to a PC that has two external USB2 drives as the main storage. I'd
>> like to have some WindowsXP-compatible software that is crash-proof,
>> doesn't hog resources and runs in the background, using idle times to
>> keep things backed up to the attached RAID array. I've seen 2-HD and
>> 4-HD enclosures, and I'm curious which kind other folks are using? I
>> can't afford nor do I have the expertise to deal with one of the fancy
>> NAS systems (plus, it would take forever to back up my studio drives
>> over Ethernet, the backup needs to be via USB).
>>
> I avoid RAID because if the control card fails, you lose everything on
> the drives.
>
>> Input much appreciated. Up to now, I've been manually backing up to a
>> third, bigger USB drive. There's got to be a better way that won't
>> take down Windows or be unreliable.
>>
> I think if you have mainly large files, this is a good simple method for
> now. I use Windows Commander (now Total Commander) for copying files
>
> I am waiting with interest the Millenniata Blu-Ray discs, but I expect
> they will be expensive.
>
> One approach for audio files would be to record them as analog on
> reel-to-reel tape. But I don't think any medium that can be erased is
> really archival.
>
>
>> BTW, for what it's worth, I signed up for Carbonite for my office PC
>> last year. So far, 9 months into it, it's only got the PC and external
>> hard drive 30% backed up! So, not a practical solution if you have a
>> lot of data to backup! I don't run the PC 24-7, but I do leave it on
>> overnight most nights. To Carbonite's credit, the software prioritized
>> My Documents and the key system-identification files and those got
>> backed up first. But stuff like my iTunes library, my extensive
>> audio-documentaton library, my HDTracks downloads, it'll take
>> literally years. Not practical!
>>
>
> Regards
> -- 
> Don Cox
> [log in to unmask]
>