Hi, Tom,

This could be a long discussion...but the short story is, what I have is
about 95% automatic.

For my studio machine, instead of using the normal turnoff command at
the end of the day, I run a viceversa script (through a shortcut) that
is backup and shutdown.

The script pushes out everything on my hard drive to the proper storage
location(s) via the ViceVersa profile.

At the end of the profile, it runs a batch file you create that uses the
not-well-documented Windows Shutdown command.

There are details of this in my blog post.
http://richardhess.com/notes/2008/07/25/file-backup-strategy-and-utilities/

Some of what you want to do with backups is protect yourself against
over-writing good data with bad. I have some of the built into the
paired NASes, but ViceVersa also will do versioning, but be careful as
it can eat a lot of data and be slow. You don't want to do it with
email, for example...or audio files.

One of the things I was really worried about was pushing modified JPEG
files out for the boys. Their JPEG files are their original work, so the
backup NAS is set to only ADD JPEGs not update them. In this way, if you
make a bad edit the second backup copy is not changed.

----

The other thing not described is that we do bi-directional backups
between the server and laptops in that any file changed on the server is
moved to the laptop and any file changed on the laptop is moved to the
server. There can be issues with this, but it also allows using the
server to sync multiple computers. The boys have two laptops at
university and they keep them both sync'd to the RAID.

There are MANY concerns, but my systems are now running with almost no
supervision. The only manual thing is on the audio machine and I use the
special backup and shutdown command instead of shutdown.

The laptops are manual with about four sync routines to save time. For
example, there is
documents
photos
music
archive

All you do is Sync Documents when you want to. It could be automated
with shutdown if you wished, or you could do all. This is optimized for
the 56 Mb/s wireless links to the laptops.

Cheers,

Richard