Tyra,

There are professional units from JBR
http://jbrtech.com/prod_ptu.html

If the price of the above is beyond your budget, you might wish to
consider two alternatives:
(1) Find a portable or desk transcriber that works reasonably well, come
out of the headphone jack and capture that in the computer.
(2) Take the tape out of the microcassette shell, load it into a
standard cassette shell, and use a high-end standard cassette player.

For the relatively small volume of microcassette transfers I'm asked to
do (maybe 10-20 per year), I take option (2). The sound will be
backwards and at 2x or 4x speed. So record at 96 ks/s and then when you
play it back at 48 ks/s, you'll still have full audio bandwidth in the
digital domain--the analog player will have cut off somewhere around 20
kHz or so, therefore you'll only have 10 kHz of audio in the file, but
it won't be digitally limited.

If you have to go down to 1/4 speed, your top end will be limited (again
in the analog domain by the repro deck) to 5 kHz.

But, interestingly, those are the limits of the JBR unit as well.
Standard speed on a microcassette is 2.4 cm/s (15/16 in/s) and LP is 1.2
cm/s (15/32 in/s) while a standard cassette is 4.8 cm/s (1-7/8 in/s).
There just isn't much high end on the tape at 15/32 in/s!

The technique on my website for reloading cassettes can be adapted to
microcassettes as well. If you cut the tape right at the empty hub side
of the opening, you'll preserve the start pulses that JBR talks about.
http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/03/06/loading-c-0-cassettes/

You will not be able to return the tapes to the microcassette shell, but
this has been acceptable to a wide range of clients. One potential
client did not want the original artifact damaged, so I declined the
project.

Cheers,

Richard