I haven't had time to do this.

Here are transcripts of some of the Burns interviews for "Jazz":
http://www.pbs.org/jazz/about/about_transcripts.htm

It would be interesting to analize them by date, because I think it's reasonable to surmise that
those who spoke first had more influence on the shape of the emerging documentary than those who
spoke last -- unless Burns went in with a fully-baked pre-supposition and did interviews just to fit
his "narrative."

Regarding Don Cox's statement:

> I think what we see is one of the bad effects of college courses in
> jazz. The Ken Burns/Marsalis story is a typical study curriculum.
>
> The standard story of 20C art history is a similar simplification. But
> one has to start somewhere.

I don't think it's ever a good idea to start at a place of misinformation or agenda-driven opinion
masked as "history." Regarding art history, one thing that I've noticed is how the promoters and
gallery owners get to write this history, if they live long enough. I guess that's no different from
record label owners and A&R folks.

-- Tom Fine