Hi Dave:

Wow, this new discussion is the ULTIMATE of historical revisionism and political correctness.

JAZZ or Jass, as has been known as a distinct music for over a century now, is definitely NOT just a
"black" musical form. It's an amalgam of long-standing European scales and chords, march tempo and
other elements, plus European instrumentation, combined with African rhythms and the same African
elements that formed field chants and then the blues. Jazz and blues, especially in the early years,
borrow liberally from each other, and continue to influence each other to this day.

Yes, the first practicianers of early jazz were mostly black and creole (which is in itself a "mutt"
just like jazz is "mutt" music, which is what makes it so distinctly American, from a country of
"mutts"). But almost immediately the music was embraced and mastered by white musicians. The first
recordings were by white musicians if you count ODJB as the first band to record. Most of what Cary
and I were complaining about, ignoring the Hot-Jazz Revival musicians and ignoring Latin-jazz stems
from racial politics. Injecting new racial politics into the study of jazz would be a big mistake.

I can't understand why people just can't embrace the whole spectrum of jazz and celebrate it as
AMERICAN music, the "mutt" that is in, the product of a "mutt" country. We should all strut the
mutt, as our local dog shelter says on its banners. More importantly, appreciation of those who were
great jazz musicians and those who moved the music in new directions shouldn't depend on their skin
color. Jazz is one of those areas that, from early in its history, it was a meritocracy. It broke
down silly and arbitrary skin-color barriers (aside from the fact that mixed-race bands existed from
the early times forward, anyone can study the lives of folks like Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong,
Benny Goodman, John Hammond, Norman Granz or Fletcher Henderson and form the same conclusions).
Leave it to the PC crowd today to re-erect barriers!

As for slicing and dicing jazz into "micro-categories" -- why??? The beauty of the music is that it
ebbs and flows in so many directions, it's massive and varied like the country of its birth. I think
there may be academic bones to be made (ie publishing rather than perishing) from slicing off tiny
sub-genres and writing too many words rather than letting the music speak for itself, but I see no
other purpose to over-classify any type of music. That's the main beef about many of the
well-known/well-regarded anthologies and the Burns documentary -- the definition was too narrow from
the get-go. So why narrow things further?

-- Tom Fine